The 5 Top Complete Grow Room Packages
Are you considering a grow tent?
Whether you are creating the ultimate hydroponic system for growing marijuana, or just doing a little hydroponic gardening for your indoor herb garden, choosing the right tent is one of the most important decisions you can make regarding your setup! Before you invest in all of the right led grow lights, fans, filters, beds, nutrients, etc. you’ll need to create a space where your plants can thrive.
Several factors can make or break a grow cabinet. However, since there are literally dozens of companies manufacturing grow tents, choosing the best one for your situation can be very challenging. That’s why we’ve put together this all-inclusive guide to help you choose the best grow tent to fit your needs.
What is a grow tent?
A grow tent, or grow cabinet as it is sometimes called, is a temporary enclosure that creates a superb growing environment without the need to make permanent modifications to your space. A good grow tent is easy to set up, sturdy and light-tight with built in ventilation, a highly reflective lining and a waterproof floor. If you’re still wondering if you want to use a tent or if you should try to build out your own space, remember that this is about getting amazing results with as little time and expense as possible.
Beginners should not underestimate the advantages that a well designed grow tent will provide. Again, this is about results! The grow tent manufacturers we’ve reviewed have proven they’re at the top of their game. There’s no way we could ever recreate the growing environment these tents provide without spending a LOT of time and money.
What are the advantages of using a grow tent?
- EASY! – Compared to building a grow space from scratch, setting up a tent is unbelievably easy. Even if you’ve never struggled to create a light-tight space with proper ventilation, an optimally reflective interior surface and a floor that contains the inevitable spills, it’s not hard to appreciate that the manufacturers of these grow tents have already handled the brain damage! You can be ready to rock in no time.
- Energy Efficiency – One of the biggest reasons to use a tent is their efficiency. An inefficiently designed space can easily cost you hundreds, if not thousands, of extra dollars per year just in lighting and cooling. Quality tents are designed with energy efficiency in mind. They maximize the reflectiveness of the interior linings and allow for proper ventilation. Efficiency equals dollars saved.
- Odor Management – Certain plants can emit strong odors that may not be appreciated by neighbors, roommates, etc. Grow tents use a fully enclosed designs that trap odors inside. They also make it easy to incorporate air filtration systems (generally utilizing carbon filters), so that all of the air leaving the tent is filtered. Not only does the filtration system reduce odors, it helps create ‘fresh air’ by removing other contaminants.
- Pest Reduction – Aphids, whiteflies & spider mites… Oh my! Insects can decimate a crop. While there’s no way to guarantee you’ll never have a visitor, a grow tent’s fully enclosed, light-tight design does a great job of protecting your plants.
- Ideal Lighting – Grow tents use highly reflective material to line the interior of the tent. The tent and the reflective material are designed to maximize the intensity of the light by bouncing the light off of the walls and ceiling, so that your plants get the maximum benefit.
- Light-Tight – Plants require different amounts of light during their different growth cycles. A good tent provides a high degree of light-tightness (meaning, no light enters or escapes the tent unintentionally). A tent’s zippers and flaps make it easy to control the light your plants receive.
- Water-Tight – High quality grow tents have waterproof rubber ‘pans’ for floors that catch and contain spills, and make it easy to clean. Let’s face it, you’re playing with dirt and water, there will be spills. Protect thy floors.
- Scalability – Once you get your system dialed in, it’s very easy to replicate. Just add another tent! If you find yourself with multiple tents, you can even tie them together using a central ‘lung’ tent, which allows you to manage all of your airflow, filtration and temperature from a single location.
- Mobility – So, your system is dialed in and it’s time to move. Instead of tearing out the walls and starting from scratch, you can just break down the system, set it up in your new space and be up and running very quickly.
There is an incredible variety of different grow tents for sale online. Like with so many things, you usually get what you pay for. While it’s nice to save a few bucks, having your plants die because of toxic off-gassing from cheap fabrics, or having your lights come crashing down because of weak support poles (potentially starting a fire) could cost you more in the long run than doing it right the first time. Our grow tent review only includes established manufacturers of quality equipment.